Ten things you need to know about Talisker
Ahoy! We’ve got maritime malt fever this month. We’re thrilled to bring Members the Club’s first-ever Talisker — and it’s a beauty. Pour yourself a dram and get acquainted with this legendary seaside distillery.
- Established in 1830 by brothers Hugh and Kenneth MacGaskill, by 1900 Talisker was already one of the best-selling whiskies in the world.
- Talisker is one of the most awarded Single Malt Scotch Whiskies in the world. Their flagship whisky Talisker 10 has won Double Gold for the past 4 years straight (2020-2023) at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition.
- Robert Louis Stevenson, Scottish novelist, essayist, poet and travel writer, called Talisker the "king o’ drinks."
- Talisker is the oldest working distillery on the Isle of Skye and until Torabhaig opened in 2017, Talisker was the only distillery on the Isle of Skye.
- Set on the shores of Loch Harport with sweeping views of The Cuillin, a range of jagged rocky mountains, Talisker is true maritime whisky made right by the sea.
- The name Talisker comes from the old Norse for Sloping Rock, ‘Thalas Gair'.
- Talisker predominately matures its whisky in American oak, producing a creamy, peated single malt Scotch with a peppery maritime influence.
- The distillery supports the Talisker Whisky Atlantic Challenge, known as The World’s Toughest Row approximately 4,800km across The Atlantic.
- The distillery has a deep respect for the ocean. Since 2020, the distillery has partnered with Parley for the Oceans, a non-profit organisation that focuses on protecting the world’s oceans.
- In 1960, the distillery was destroyed by flames from a stillhouse fire. It was rebuilt with replicas of the five original stills to maintain the flavour of the spirit. Talisker rose from the ashes and resumed production in 1962.
The Whisky Club is thrilled to be partnering exclusively with Talisker to make sure Australians don’t miss the Talisker boat.
If you want to get your hands on the first-ever Talisker to get the luxury treatment in XO Cognac casks, the first to be bottled in new 100% recycled biofuel-powered glass, and the first to give back to the oceans with a charitable donation from every bottle purchased, join The Whisky Club free now: www.thewhiskyclub.com.au/talisker